Cranberry sauce is a classic Thanksgiving side, but whether you opt for the jiggly stuff in a can or you make your own, it’s typically packed with refined sugar to offset the tartness of cranberries. Rather than loading up with sugar, this homemade keto cranberry sauce recipe (inspired by Leanna Vogel of the Healthiful Pursit’s recipe from The Keto Holiday Cookbook) embraces the tangy tart fall flavors of cranberries with just a touch of sweetness. Leanna’s recipe calls for erythritol but I like to use just a bit of maple syrup and a couple of drops of stevia instead. Do what works for you; that’s what cooking is all about!
Keto Cranberry Sauce
- 1 cup water
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup + 2 drops liquid stevia (Note: the original recipe calls for ¼ cup erythritol or xylitol-based sweetener but I substitute as written)
- 1 teaspoon gelatin, optional
- 12 oz. (340 grams) fresh or thawed cranberries
- Pour the water and orange zest into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the erythritol and stir until dissolved.
- If you would like the cranberry sauce to gel once cooled, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of gelatin into the simmering orange mixture and whisk until fully dissolved.
- Add the cranberries and continue to simmer until the cranberries pop; about 8 to 10 minutes.
Looking for more holiday-inspired content?
- Make Serenity's Grain-Free Pumpkin Pie
- Join our 5-Day Gratitude Challenge
- Win FREE BABY FOOD FOR A YEAR*
- Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Garlic Cauliflower Potato Mash