Let’s be real, the most important thing on any Thanksgiving menu is obviously the pie (or two or three). For me, dessert just simply isn’t dessert without chocolate! Anyone else hate pumpkin pie as much as me? Growing up, my mom always made my FAVORITE chocolate pie; she would use instant pudding mix, (which unfortunately is full of icky ingredients I no longer eat). I thought I may never be able to have her infamous chocolate pie again…until my mom and I collaborated on a healthier version without the pre-packaged pudding mix and made with whole food ingredients—in fact, it’s paleo! I’m so excited to share my “Paleo Chocolate Pie” that reminds me so much of home and my childhood. There are NEVER any leftovers of this gem, so here’s your fair warning that you may want to prep two (so you have some for breakfast of course).
Joe’s Paleo Chocolate Pie
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- Two 1oz. squares of unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons raw, local honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tablespoon Stevia
- Elana's Pantry 9” pre-baked paleo pie crust
- Following the directions on the pie crust, cook until done and remove from the oven. Set aside until the end of this recipe.
- Set aside the slightly beaten egg yolks in a small bowl.
- In a small pan, melt chocolate on medium heat, stirring constantly making sure not to burn.
- Add coconut milk to the melted chocolate pan.
- Stir in stevia, honey, and salt (taste mixture and add more sweetener if desired); stir this mixture over medium-high heat until bubbly, then remove from heat. Turn burner to low heat.
- Add your beaten egg yolks to the chocolate mixture slowly, careful not to curdle the eggs, and cook for two more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in arrowroot powder to thicken your pie filling mixture (add more arrowroot powder if you want to thicken the filling more). Consistency should reach your desired filling thickness because it won’t set anymore once chilled.
- Add vanilla extract and stir. Let sit for two minutes.
- Pour your filling mixture into the cooled/cooked pie crust.
- To prevent a film from forming on the surface of the filling itself, put waxed paper directly on top of the hot filling and let set.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve (at least a few hours).
- Serve with our sugar-free whipped cream.
Looking for more holiday-inspired content?
- Make Serenity's Grain-Free Pumpkin Pie
- Try this Festive Green Bean Recipe
- Join our 5-Day Gratitude Challenge
- Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte
P.S. Want to Win FREE BABY FOOD FOR A YEAR*?! Bring your cooking skills to our Chopped Challenge! We want to see your #SerenityKids recipes! Tag us on the ‘gram or TikTok at @myserenitykids using the hashtags #SerenityMom #SerenityRecipes #MySerenityKids.
P.P.S. Have you seen our NEW Pumpkin & Pumpkin Grain-Free Puffs?! They taste like a PSL, in a crunchy, yummy puff! 10/10 recommend.
As with any new recipe or flavor introduction to your little one, consult with a healthcare professional. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional.