One of the oldest known cakes, and one of my favorites, is the Linzer torte. I grew up in Augsburg, Germany, 100 miles from the Austrian border where the Linzer torte was born. Our family often ate the dense, nut, and fruit confection around Christmas time, so this is a nostalgic, holiday recipe for me!
After I shifted my diet towards more nutrient-dense foods, I thought I’d have to cut Linzer tortes out of my life forever. But after a bunch of research and tinkering in my kitchen, I came up with a grain-free, lower-carb version that makes my body happy as well as my taste buds.
I decided to skip the complicated and time-consuming springform pan and latticework and instead press into easy bars. They’re not as pretty or impressive until you taste them!
For the crust
- 14 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3 cups hazelnut flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup granulated sweetener (coconut sugar, xylitol, allulose, etc)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 c potato starch, arrowroot powder, or tapioca flour
- Pinch salt
For the filling
- 1.25 cups raspberry preserves (option to use sugar-free)
- 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- Combine the melted butter, nut flours, sweetener, cinnamon, cloves, salt, potato starch, and vanilla in a medium bowl and stir well until a stiff dough forms. Reserve 1/3 of the dough to use as a crumble on top. Add egg to the remaining dough and mix well.
- Grease a 9 X 13” baking pan (I use avocado oil spray) and press down bottom crust dough.
- In a small bowl combine jelly & xanthan gum
- Spread the jelly mixture evenly over the crust
- Crumble the remaining crust mixture over the top of the jelly layer and press gently to flatten a bit
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into 2-inch squares
And voila! You are now a gourmet pastry chef with a mom-approved, Paleo snack the whole family can enjoy.
Looking for more recipes to try? Here’s what other parents are making lately:
- Grass-Fed A2 Whole Milk Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- Joe's Paleo Chocolate Pie
- 15-Minute Nutrient-Rich Pasta
- Pumpkin & Squash Mini Muffins
- Wild-Caught Salmon Patties
WE WANT TO SEE YOUR #SERENITYKIDS RECIPES! TAG US ON THE ‘GRAM OR TIKTOK AT @MYSERENITYKIDS USING THE HASHTAGS #SERENITYMOM #SERENITYRECIPES #MYSERENITYKIDS FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN A FREE YEAR OF SERENITY KIDS BABY FOOD!*
As with any new recipe or flavor introduction to your little one, consult with a healthcare professional. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for, nor does it replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional.